Sunday, March 6, 2011

G goes under

So I better finally write about this before I forget what happened. HA!

SOOOOO, on tuesday this last week we scheduled Garrett for his surgery to fix his circumcision. He wasn't in any pain from it before, part of it had just healed back in a weird way and we finally decided to have them check into it. They agreed that if we were going to have the urologist fix it then earlier was better than later, so he was less likely to remember the process.

Had to be at the hospital at 6 in the morning, left our house at 5:30. Ry carried him down to the car in his pj's and with his blanky. I was so anxious (just about getting up in time-haa) the night before and (still) sick that I got probably like 3 hours of sleep, looked like I got hit by a truck, and G's talking on the way there about how dark it is, 'where is the sun mommy?' and 'i still have my jammies!' and acting like it's no big deal we're up at THE CRACK.

Check him in, he's telling stories to another older couple also in the admissions room. We go up to the surgery room, changes into his 'tiger jammies' and wait....for like 45 minutes. Nurses were coming in and out messin with stuff asking him questions....here's a few pictures of our waiting. =)








So when it got to be closer to the time of his surgery, they came and gave him versed, liquid stuff that he just drank, then explained some few things to me. I asked to take him potty before they took him back and they told me I had to carry him cause he could fall over from that stuff. OH YA, he was already loopy after like 5 minutes. Had to hold him the whole time in the bathroom, couldn't even lift his leg to get his foot out of his undies. HAHA! he kept sayin 'what's dat noise?'....uhhhh I dont' hear anything G, we're in the bathroom. HA! and he kept sayin he had to go poopy, but wasn't even making an effort to do so, sooooo bathroom time was ended and I carried him back pretty much dead weight to the room. They had the bed all ready to be wheeled away for the operating room, so I quick got another picture before they took him away. he was making everyone laugh and they all thought he was cute. He could tell that there was something 'funny' about him, like his body was heavy...he had this little smirk on his face and his eyes were looking EVERYWHERE without his head moving. hahahahahahaaaaa. so funny.


Then I went out to the car to get the balloons, got myself a yummy coffee and waited....and waited...in the waiting room....ugh. Took forever. And I was texting Ry to keep him up dated. Brought my bible study stuff but my brain can't concentrate on anything if there's noise. The doc came out half way to give me an update, which was nice. and then again when they were done and said I could go back to the room to wait for him, they would bring him back in as soon as he opened his eyes.

Actually I should back up....for anyone who's wondering, after they took him to the operating room, he was already pretty loopy, they give him an oxygen mask to put him under and then do the iv after he's already out, so he wouldn't be awake for the needle part. AWESOME!!!! SO, I really wasn't worried about any of that, so while I was waiting I was just wanting to see him getting really antsy, you know. Susie came up there too for the last 15 minutes of waiting so that made it go a little faster having someone to talk to.

We came back into the room and the bed was obviously still gone (the one they wheeled him away on) and there was a recliner and a folding chair along the wall. We set down all our crap and I heard him crying from down the hall. They were bringing him back! looked out the door and it was one of the nurses just carrying him to me and his little iv pack. what? so she sets him in my lap in the chair, he's naked, crying getting more hysterical as time goes by, Susie and I try to calm him down, he's flailing his arms and legs, didn't want to sit, stand, look this way, that way, hold onto that, pulling on his iv, pulled off his finger monitor, he was beside himself, which I was warned would happen after he comes out of anesthesia.... really we ended up sitting on the floor together, since there was no bed in the room. I was not impressed. I actually felt pretty much helpless....I couldn't 'help' him, but he seemed like he wanted my help, but he also made it seem like I was doing it wrong. hahaaaa. WHAT THE HECK!!!?! Anyhoo, we weren't there very long, long enough for him to chug 3 glasses of juice and water....and then throw it all up on the floor, take out his iv, and finally get settled for a few minutes watching Dora while I got some take-home instructions and his prescription. He sat on Susie's lap on the wheel chair while I carried all our loot and then ran to pull up the van. GOING HOME!!!

So we get back, Heather stayed with Ethan and Syd for the few hours that Ry was at work. Syd had pigtails!! so cute! Anyhoo-back to the story...we picked up some movies from the library, G got settled into his little spot on the couch...still hasn't had anything to eat or drink since the night before, it's like 11am. get him some more drink, and he throws up again....ugh. Thought this might be a really long day, but that was the last time! After about an hour he kept asking for more food....he had crackers, jello, and a popsicle. Here he is just takin it easy.

about an hour later he asked me if he could go back to the doctor again. He was ok. HAHAHA! Good thing cause we have a checkup on Wednesday. HA! Recovery has really been hard for ....ME, cause he forgets he has an owie. Keeping him settled was the hardest part tuesday, wednesday and thursday. He and Ethan are always wrestling and climbing and jumping....AHHH sit still dude!! he's been telling everyone this week about it too, that he can and can't do certain things cause it hurts his....like jump out of the van, do the crotch buckle on his carseat, climb into his bed over the guard rail, wear jeans, put on his medicine, take a bath, eat his vegetables...hahaha no just kidding. He's pretty much back to normal spirits though, that came back quickly. you can tell he's still a little sensitive, but that's to be expected. ALL in ALL, still glad we got that behind us now and were really happy with Dr. Terhune. Thanks everyone who was praying, it was a pretty long day. So glad God was watching over little Garrett!

3 comments:

Josh and Erin said...

the pictures are great! I'm sure the whole day will always be much more tramatic for you than for him. seriously those pictures are hilarious. :)

Grant and Jenni said...

Looks like he did great! I love how you retell stories. :) You're a great mom!

Evan said...

Wow, glad that's over for him. Seems like he handled it like a champ though!